I'm sure Russ is glad I'm done reading this one, because, like most of Anne Bishop's books, I wasn't able to limit myself to reading it during my morning coffee; I found myself sneaking off to get through a few more pages here and there every chance I got. And when I picked it up, the rest of the world (with the exception of Roy crying, of course) would disappear. Russ would say something, and I wouldn't even notice he was trying to get my attention. He had to repeat himself all weekend.
Belladonna is the second book in Anne Bishop's Ephemera series, and I think you'll really need to read Sebastian first. These don't work too well as standalones, but they were both fantastic. The universe she created was confusing as hell to really get a sense of, and if it had been a writer any less than Anne Bishop, I don't think it would have worked. But I love her writing style, and if you stop trying to map the route the characters are taking in your head - maps are no good in this universe - and just enjoy the journey, the stories are wonderful. Sebastian and Belladonna are a pair of romantic tales set against a backdrop of an epic battle against ultimate evil. Both books were superbly written; even the supporting characters are completely fleshed out, and the interaction between all of the players in the tale, not just the hero and heroine, really make the story come to life.
These aren't as dark as the Black Jewels were, but I'm actually glad of that. I get tired of how certain writers *cough*LK Hamilton*cough* feel like they need to constantly one-up themselves on the sex and gore scales in order to keep the audience's interest, like the rules for horror movies are being applied to scifi/fantasy novels. Why not try telling a compelling story, so you don't have to think of what could be weirder or more disgusting than group sex with a leopard-man and a wolf-man? So three cheers to Anne Bishop for not trying to outdo herself on the 'darkness' scale.
This is another set of books I'll end up re-reading, I'm sure. It'll help to pass the time until March of 2008, when her next book in the Black Jewels series comes out.
Next up, probably Kim Harrison's "For a Few Demons More" since that comes out next.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment