Since Livvy asked me to give it to her, I'm going to go ahead and post my recipe for tamale pie. I hated the thing for years and years, but my husband loves it, so I'd keep making it. It was an easy weeknight dish you can toss together, and hey, sometimes it's not about what I want to eat.
I was never a big fan of parmesan either. Then I bought some real parmesan, and realized it wasn't that I didn't like the cheese, it was that I didn't like the cellulose filled pre-processed cheese-füd I'd been eating. Real parmesan cheese is incredible!
Well I finally found a way to cook tamale pie that I think makes it taste incredible as well. It's still just as easy, and all of a sudden, I can stomach more than a few bites and don't have to pretend I'm full. The secret was in the cheese. Oaxaca cheese, to be exact. Oaxaca is also called Asadero, and I find mine at Harris Teeter. If you can find some, try it, it's so wonderful.
So.... on to the recipe. You will need:
Hardware:
1 skillet large enough to sautee the beef, and hold the rest of the ingredients
1 8" square baking dish (or thereabouts)
1 largish bowl for the batter
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 sm tomato, diced small
1 sm green pepper, diced small
1 cup frozen corn
1 sm onion, minced
1 jalepeno pepper, minced
1 cup (or more to taste) oaxaca cheese, shredded
1 pkg cornbread mix (your choice, there. I'm too lazy to make my own cornbread batter, this is supposed to be a quick meal!)
chili powder
ground cumin
salt
pepper
other seasonings to taste
To cook:
Preheat your oven to whatever temp your cornbread tells you to.
Sautee the ground beef in the skillet with the onion, seasoning it up to your personal heat/spice preference.
While the beef is cooking, mix up the cornbread batter
Before the beef is quite done, add in the rest of the vegetable ingredients, leaving the tomato for last so it doesn't get all mushy, mix well.
Dump the whole mix into the baking dish, spreading it out evenly, and then layer on the shredded cheese.
Spread the cornbread batter on top, and pop it into the oven.
Cook for as long as your instructions for your cornbread batter tells you to, then take it out and let it settle down for five minutes or so.
Done!
I like to top mine with sour cream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mmm...Thanks Celeste :). I will definitely be making that. Now you have to give me the rice casserole that you make and the sausage and buccotini!! :)
Ooooo, this sounds so yummy, Celeste. I'm gonna have to try it out. Thanks! :)
Post a Comment