Monday, February 18, 2008

Eating Experiment

So I was browsing through the comments section on this guest-blog post by Michael Pollan and one of the comments in particular struck me. Kathy Leland writes:
I am teaching "The Omnivore's Dilemma" this semester in my Introduction to Literature class (somewhat bucking the tradition that only fiction can be literature), so I'm very excited to tell my students about this site and the great opportunity to correspond with Mr. Pollan. I'm sure they will have many questions! Young people today have a very quixotic and disconnected relationship with the food they eat: they understand and heartily endorse the merits of environmental awareness, they recycle, they don't waste paper, they don't litter -- yet at the same time, they live on fast food, can't identify more than 4 or 5 vegetables, and often have no idea what a really great peach tastes like. I think "The Omnivore's Dilemma" should be required reading in a lot of college classes. I hope I am starting a trend.
...and that just struck me as wrong.

I probably cook with a decent bit more vegetables than the average American, but it got me to thinking of other ways I could expand my horizons, starting with seeing if I can take some suggestions. So... in the comments, list as many different vegetables as you can, the only rule being that you have to have actually eaten them. If I didn't include that qualifier... well, I know Anna and I could probably have a good time just sitting down and listing out all the veggies we can think of. You can include herbs and specific varieties as well (after all, I regularly eat at least 4 different kinds of potatoes). Any vegetables in the responses that I have not eaten, I will incorporate into my next week's menu, if they're available, or add to the menu as soon as they are. And maybe it'll encourage you guys to do it too!

I'll start: arugula, asparagus, artichokes, basil, beets, broccoli, broccolini, cabbage, chives, cilantro, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, fennel, garlic, green beans, green peppers, jalepeno peppers, leeks, mushrooms (portabella, shitake, white, cremini), okra, onions (white, yellow, red, boiling, green), oregano, parsnips, parsley, peas (garden, sugarsnap, snow), plantains, potatoes (yukon gold, white, red, 'new'), pumpkin, radishes, rutabagas, sage, shallots, spinach, squash (yellow, acorn, butternut, spaghetti), sweet potatoes, tarragon, thyme, turnips, tomatoes (plum, heirloom, common grocery, yellow), water chestnuts, zucchini.

9 comments:

Olivia said...

haha...soooo are you trying to say that we're average? mmm...I don't like it celeste...i don't like it one bit. i like to think of myself as above average. So, no more blogs about how normal we are...mmmkay?

Olivia said...

Sooo...let's see...just off the top of my head, you didn't mention: beans (kidney, pinto, black, edamame, norther white, navy, etc...), brussel sprouts, cauliflower, or chickpeas...

Celeste said...

I'm not sure where you got the idea that this was a blog about how 'normal' we are. I brought it up because, much like when I picked up 'Vegetables Every Day', I'm trying to expand my variety. I figured it'd be fun to start with things you guys eat that I haven't.

In any case, you're right... I did forget some veggies you listed. Of those, I actually haven't cooked with navy beans, pinto beans, edamame, or chickpeas. Probably because I don't like beans! But I'll go find some recipes and try.

Olivia said...

Probably because you quoted: "Young people today have a very quixotic and disconnected relationship with the food they eat...they live on fast food, [and] can't identify more than 4 or 5 vegetables..." and then go on to state that although you "cook with a decent bit more vegetables than the average American" you don't think that this proposal to teach "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and make it required reading material is necessary because "it just struck [you] as wrong." To me this says that as an average American yourself, you didn't like the implications the other blogger was making.

I guess I misunderstood what you were getting at.

Orianna said...

hmmm lessee: habanero peppers, serrano peppers, scotch bonnet peppers, broccoli, sugar snap peas, snow peas, beets, rutabaga, turnips, parsnips, carrots, russet potatoes, red skin potatoes, red onion, white onion, yellow onion, ginger, garlic, bell pepper, brussel sprouts, green peas, cauliflower, bok choy, chinese broccoli, bitter melon, taro, daikon, japanese eggplant, eggplant, haricot verts, shallots, scallions, artichoke, jalapeno, portabella mushroom, button mushroom, enoki mushroom, straw mushrooms, water chestnuts, corn, hearts of palm, acorn squash, buttnernut squash, pumpkin, jicama, lentils, spaghetti squash, cucumber, fennel, lettuce (romaine, butter, iceberg, redlead), bitter green (turnip greens, radicchio, arugula, mache)

Ok I give up I started thinking about fruit. I weep for the youth of today. Reminds me of when I gave Melissa mashed rutabaga, she took one bite said "it tastes like vegetable" and wouldn't eat anymore.

Celeste said...

Yes, you definitely did misunderstand my comment. I thought it was wrong that the instructor would be finding college students who had trouble identifying more than 4 or 5 vegetables, not that teaching 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' was wrong.

Olivia said...

Ok...thanks for explaining.

And just to be clear--since you seem to be taking my first comment seriously--it was a *joke*.

Celeste said...

Emoticons then, please! Once we get video commenting, then I'll be able to see facial expressions and tone of voice... until then, I have to rely on :), ;) and :( at minimum. ;)

And okay, from Anna's list, I need to add at least Taro, Japanese Eggplant, and Mache to the list...

Heh. Poor Russ is going to have some interesting meals in the coming week!

Elaine said...

asparagus, artichokes, avocado, bamboo shoots, basil, bean sprouts, beets, beet greens, bok choy, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage (red and white), carrots, cauliflower, celery, chives, cilantro, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, elephant garlic, beans (green, string, wax, black, pinto, kidney, navy, red, soy) horseradish, green, red, yellow and orange peppers, jalepeno peppers, kale, leeks, lentils, mushrooms (portabella,and shitake), mustard greens, okra, onions (white, yellow, red, boiling, green), oregano, parsnips, parsley, peas (garden, sugarsnap, snow), plantains, potatoes (yukon gold, white, red, 'new'), pumpkin, radishes, rhubarb, rosemary, rutabagas, sage, shallots, spinach, squash (yellow, acorn, butternut, spaghetti, hubbard), sweet potatoes, thyme, turnips, turnip greens, tomatoes (plum, cherry, common grocery, yellow), water chestnuts, yams, zucchini.

I think that's about it...and I have noticed exactly what Celeste was reading about. This weird interest or importance or something placed on recycling, 'natural' or 'healthy' foods, but then little experience of any real food. Everything they eat comes pre-prepared.