I'm not sure this proves advertisers are deceptive or that people are just really fucking dumb.
I personally was not in the least bit surprised to discover that 'foods' like Lifesavers, and Airheads did not contain fruit. *rolls eyes at the idiots who did*
Note: I put foods in quotes because those aren't foods, they are candies.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
They may have damaged their case by including products that are obviously - and marketed as - candy. But there are plenty of items on that list and in the grocery store that are just as deceptive as they claim. You don't expect Yoplait yogurt to contain no fruit in it, not to mention the large quantity of children's cereals (even Cheerios) which do the same.
Due to my recent crusade against HFCS, I've been looking at labels a lot more carefully. I had to ditch a number of 'fruit' juice drinks I bought regularly because once I looked at the label, there was really very little actual fruit in it - it was all high fructose corn syrup, water with 'natural' flavor and some vitamin c added. MEALS in real life.
So while my first instinct is to go "what morons, that they didn't know airheads didn't have real fruit in it", my second thought is... but I've been suckered by other products before. I'm not sure a group like CSPI is really the best place to turn for advice on fixing it though. If they had their druthers, they'd make all beef products be labeled with a prominent warning saying "made with the deceased flesh of a castrated bull who was killed before his time".
Yes the tricks abound, I was actually led to that article from one talking about how a smidge less than half a gram of trans fat qualifies as zero on nutrition labels. In addition the industry is trumpeting the discovery of a healthy trans fat replacement, that isn't actually healthy. Same detrimental effects, different name. Keep your eye out for interesterified oil.
Keep in mind that there are naturally occurring trans fats as well...
My current program of not caring if it's 'nutritious' so long as it isn't all processed to hell seems to be paying off. Russ has lost enough weight on our modified diet that people are actually noticing at work, and I've been shedding a lot of pounds as well. We're still eating plenty of sweets and fried foods, but our intake of chemically processed crap has gone down drastically. Seems to be paying off.
Haha, it's mostly just made me gassy ;)
This is my favorite part:
"Parents are rushing through grocery stores with their kids, and a lot of them are relying on what they see on the front of the package. Most are too harried to read the fine print."
All the food I buy for my dogs has a picture of a golden retriever on it. But luckily, I don't think that is what I am feeding them. ;)
Post a Comment