Thursday, April 12, 2007

Just a 'Horrible Coincidence'

As I'm sure all you cat and dog owners out there are aware of by now, Menu Foods issued a massive recall of their products after it was revealed that the wheat gluten in them was contaminated and killing off owner's pets.

Menu Foods issued their recall of the products about 3 weeks after they were first notified of the pet deaths.

As a 'horrible coincidence', the CEO for Menu Foods just happened to sell off half of his stock in the company three weeks before the recall was announced.

Just fascinating, eh?

2 comments:

Orianna said...

I don't even use Menu Food products, and I'm outraged by this whole debacle. Pets have become surrogate children for (I would venture to guess) the majority of people who own them that aren't totally fucked in the head. While I'm not necessarily advocating an FDA type organization for pet food, I don't think it's a bad idea to make sure they aren't selling consumers POISON!

Celeste said...

In this case, the problem was that they switched suppliers to a new group in China. Outsourcing may be cheaper, but it also can affect your quality... in this case, it affected the quality of the wheat gluten they were using in their products. Lesson: Buy American! ;)