Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Adventures In Slow-cooking

As you all know, I accidentally ended up with a very nice 7qt All-Clad slow-cooker, even though I've never had any interest in using one before. Well, after a few gentle nudges, and some not so subtle hints from Russ and I finally set the thing up and tried it out.

Yesterday morning after I got the coffee started, I rubbed a pork butt with 1 tsp hawaiian sea salt, and 1 tsp liquid smoke, and then put it in the slow-cooker for 12 hours on low. I turned it over once after about six hours. When it came out, it was fall-off-the-bone, and pull-apart-with-a-nudge-of-the-fork tender. I even saved the rest of the meat for leftovers, it was that good. I served it with baked plantains and steamed rice, with lime wedges on the side. And as hectic as my day was yesterday, if the meat hadn't already been taken care of, when I got off work we would have eaten out. Maybe slow-cookers aren't that bad after all. I'm going to try barbecued beef tomorrow.

2 comments:

Olivia said...

Yeah :). I like slow cookers too. The only problem I have with them is that you have to plan out in advanced what you are going to have for dinner that night...and needless to say, I'm just not very good at it. I'm more of a 2 years in advanced type of planner...not so much when it comes to things that day though. It's too much present-day thinking for moi. Hmmm...I maybe need to re-evaluate the way I approach life...otherwise I'll miss it all!!! Ack.

Elaine said...

Try putting it together the night before. That's when you want to cook, right? Then stick it in the fridge and set it out before you go to work. Voila! Meal ready when you get home. It's the next best thing to having your own wife.

I love my crock pots. Yes, I said pot(s). I have two.