Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Tornadoes Ruin Lives

So, I have been planning a trip to San Diego for about three months now. I had pretty much every minute of my three day stay mapped out, and was ridiculously excited. When I landed, Leigh and I were going to get sushi on the beach, and then head to the House of Blues to see Lily Allen in concert. The next day was going to include another trip to the beach, a tour of the Palomar Observatory, maybe some hiking, and a visit to a tranny bar called Lips. Then Sunday we would go to the Annie Liebowitz exhibit (which doesn't hit DC until fall I think), a patisserie called Extraordinary Desserts, and then the Farmer's market to buy ingredients to cook a nice dinner. Sounds like fun right?

My flight was cancelled. The string of storms that have been pounding the Central states pretty much shut down DFW. They said they couldn't get me another flight until Sunday, and since I had already been standing in line for an hour and a half I just asked for a refund. So what does a girl do when she has time off work, and $300 worth of vacation money burning a hole in her pocket?

She makes a cake.

I don't have star shaped cookie cutters, and I thought that 2.5 cups of melted white chocolate was a bit too much for one layer, so I split the cake into 4 layers. I also omitted the amaretto liquer, because I was too lazy to go to the liquor store. I still think the end result was really fucking good.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Wow! What a beautiful cake! I must add here though, that this is what happens to you when you plan to fly through DFW without stopping to see your mother. So everyone be warned.