Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Book Report - Kitty Takes a Holiday

I just finished Carrie Vaughn's latest, Kitty Takes a Holiday. The 3rd installment of the adventures of our favorite mis-named were-wolf finds her taking an extended leave of absence from her radio show, to get back to nature, work on her memoirs, and try to get her head back together after her recent kidnapping and outing as a were-wolf on national television. Unfortunately, Kitty doesn't need to go looking for trouble. As usual, it arrives on her doorstep, in the form of Cormac the bounty-hunter. This time he's got her lawyer Ben in the back of his jeep, and Ben is badly wounded from a were-wolf attack.

Add to the mix a string of gruesome livestock slaughters in the area, and suddenly Kitty has the law looking at her suspiciously. She's got writer's block, a badly wounded friend, a jealous bounty hunter, legal troubles, and to add insult to injury, a new supernatural talk-radio show has sprung up while she's away to steal her market-share. How is she going to get through it all?

I enjoyed Vaughn's third book as much as I did the first two. Things don't always work out in the way that Kitty or the reader wants, and I find it makes the stories more real for me. You don't know everything will work out all right in the end. You do know Kitty isn't going to suddenly be gifted with additional powers that make a miserable situation suddenly fixable. I'm looking forward to her next installment, coming out near the end of the year.

No comments: