Russ and I rented a bunch of movies last week that you guys have probably already seen.... You, Me and Dupree pretty much sucked. The Covenant tried really hard to be one of those so bad it's good movies, but never managed to move past the 'so bad' part of the equation. The Descent was actually pretty good, I thought. It started out all atmospheric, and ran a nice progression into a full-on Dead-Alive-Party's-Over style ending. I think I'll watch it again, and if I still like it, I'll buy it.
Idiocracy, however, was a blue ribbon winner! In case any of you guys missed it, it's a Mike Judge movie, which automatically makes it good. Luke Wilson plays a completely unambitious, average joe, who ends up the subject in an army experiment in cryogenics, for reactivation later - like Austin Powers. Unfortunately, something goes wrong, and the project gets shelved before anyone thaws the test subjects out. What was supposed to be a one year experiment turns into 500 years, and when Luke's coffin finally pops open, the United States has seen a major shift downward in average IQ. The successful and intelligent kept on delaying having children 'til it was too late to do anything about it, while their less intellectually gifted brethren had no such compunctions. 500 years of selective breeding, and the average IQ is below 75, and America has produced a population incapable of basic math, reading comprehension, reasoning, or any sort of mechanical skill. The President is a pro-wrestler, and speaking in complete sentences will get you charged with 'talkin' like a fag'. In a world of 'tards, the average man is a frigging genius, and the whole country turns to Luke Wilson - a man, who when presented with the choice of "lead, follow, or get out of the way," always opted to get out of the way - for the solution to all their problems. This one is definitely getting purchased.
Oh, and...
Take that, Lissa!
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Man! I wanted to rent Idiocracy, but it violated Livvy's 90 minute rule. We watched the Wicker Man instead. Can you guess how much it blew?
What's Livvy's 90 minute rule? And shouldn't any silly rule be automatically excepted when the movie was created by Mike Judge? I mean, he'd have to put out a string of stinkers for me to lose faith in his work after Office Space. ;)
Livvy won't rent movies under 90 minutes, she thinks that's an automatic suck stamp. Yet somehow, Nic Cage being in the movie is equivalent to a ringing endorsement. Hmmmmm.
Brain Candy - 88 minutes
Slackers - 86 minutes
PCU - 81 minutes
Half-baked - 83 minutes
Girls just wanna have fun - 87 minutes
... Livvy's rule is dumb.
Slackers, Brain Candy, PCU, Half-baked, Evil Dead, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun all clock in at under 90 minutes. Livvy's rule is dumb.
new blogger is pissing me off. i have to post comments like fifteen times.
ahem . . . you forgot swimfan!
that is all.
Uhmmm...I never rented any of those movies Celeste; I've just seen them. I do not have any compunctions with watching movies under 90 minutes, I just usually do not rent them, because for the most part they really do SUCK. The few movies you named make up a tiny tiny portion of movies under 90 minutes and thus, in no way sways me from my determination to avoid "short" movies.
I do make exceptions however, when someone I know who has seen the movie and is raving about it, recommends the movie to me; in those cases, I will rent it. For instance, now that I've heard what a fantastic movie Idiocracy was from YOU (i.e. somone I know), I will go to blockbuster tonight and rent it.
On another note, The Covenant kicked ass!!! I don't know what you are talking about. A feature length film full of inumerable homo-erotic and just plain gay moments is nothing short of spectacular. I sometimes wonder why they even bothered to cast the female lead...she wasn't really necessary.
They guy at my blockbuster said The Covenant was a little to "Abercrombie" for him. Then I laughed and said "exactly."
I did get the distinct impression that the script was rewritten at the last minute to include a female. I just found the whole thing rather anticlimactic.
And those were just the first movies on my shelf that I recalled being short, and checked the running time on. I don't think there's any greater percentage of sucky movies in the < 90min range than there are sucky movies in > 90min range. If you automatically rule out a movie just because of the running time, you miss out on the fun of recommending it. You should only automatically rule out movies based on how good looking the actors are.
Yeah...I do that too. Also, I like to make judgements based on the cover art. But, I am still sticking to my 90 minute rule because thus far it has worked for me. I will only knowingly watch a "short" movie based on a valid and credible recommendation.
Post a Comment