Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cooking fun!

New things I tried making lately:

1. New fruit for Roy - blueberries! Verdict - yummy!

2. Stupid-easy hush puppies. Mix up some pancake batter, mince an onion fine, fold the onion inton the batter (probably not the whole onion, just til it looks like you've got a good proportion). Drop in hot oil by the largeish spoonful for a minute or so on each side. They come out crispy and dark golden on the outside, fluffy and cakey with onion on the inside. Yummy!

3. Too lazy too cook dinner Tuesday night, so I threw this together: Make some couscous. Thaw and chop up some frozen, cooked shrimp. Toss the shrimp in some hot sauce and salt. Heat up a couple of tablespoons of butter in a largeish skillet. Dump about half a bag of frozen peas/carrots/corn mix into the skillet, and sautee until the veggies are done. Dump in the shrimp and mix around just until heated through. Mix it all with the couscous. Quick and tasty.

4 comments:

Olivia said...

OMG...That does sound quick and tasty!!! I might have to make that :).

Alicia said...

I make a salad with couscous for lunch most days. It has 1 cup of couscous, 1/2 cup of diced cucumbers, 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half, 1/2 cup of chick peas, 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese, 2 T. sliced black olives, 2 T. vinagrette salad dressing. It is good and the only thing you have to cook is the couscous. I got the recipe from Health magazine. It said to use whole grain couscous, but fuck if I could find that at Sweetbay.

Olivia said...

Do you mix the couscous in the salad or have it on the side? Because that also sounds very tasty!

Alicia said...

You mix it all together.