Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New windows!

So the day before Paul Henry's came out to do the job, I called Shannon and asked her if she'd mind me bringing Roy over to hang out. For the most part, it turned out I didn't need to. Roy actually slept for at least an hour for each of his naps on both days, while those guys were ripping the old windows out of the frame and generally making all sorts of noise. Late afternoon on the first day, when the installers started on the basement windows, I went ahead and visited Shannon. Turns out when I said "windows installers" she thought I was talking computers, so had quite a surprise when she looked out her window that morning.

That's the only funny bit of the story. The new windows and exterior doors are just fabulous, and the installers really did a stupendous job. They weren't just on time, they were sitting in our driveway 10 minutes early each morning. The job ended up being more work than expected, because the previous owner had decided to do some window repair himself, involving nothing more than imagination, and enough caulk to seal an elephant airtight. They ended up working an extra half-day in order to get everything done right. Every piece of the metal framing around the windows was hand cut to fit each window, and on the back windows, which are sitting right on the siding, they actually cut the frame to match the outline of the siding exactly. The installer was out there drawing lines with a frigging compass. Anyone who asks, I'll definitely be recommending Paul Henry's Window Installation, Inc. for the work. They were fantastic!

The new windows themselves are just fantastic, and really make a noticeable difference in how well heated, and how sound-proof the house is. Outside noise has been cut dramatically, and I no longer have to huddle on the couch under a blanket because of the drafts. The new front and back doors are fantastic, and the entire look of the house has changed. And they threw in a really nice storm door for the front as a bonus. It was a total face-lift for the house. 100% money well spent.

The only problem now is that we just couldn't bear to put those awful vertical blinds back in the windows again, so now I'm sewing new curtains for the living room, basement and guest room. But I already have the basement curtains knocked out - less than a day's work... yet again, the sewing machine proves itself the perfect birthday gift!

No comments: