Monday, December 03, 2007

Chick Flicks worth Seeing

Inspired by Sonny's need to share an AskMen article with me, I have compiled a list of my top ten chick flicks. I thought the list that AskMen put together was pretty weak; I mean "Serendipity" (suck!), and "Meet Joe Black"? There was one good scene in "Meet Joe Black" and it involved Brad Pitt getting hit quite unexpectedly and perversely, hilariously with a car. So here's my list of the Top Ten Chick Flicks Worth Watching:

10. Pretty in Pink (Andrew McCarthy and James Spader in their heyday. Le sigh)
9. Pretty Woman (Interesting tidbit: I want to say Jennifer Jason Leigh auditioned for this part, and they told her she was playing it too dark. She said "this woman has been giving blow jobs for $10 dollars". The studio replied "yeah but she hasn't been doing it that long".)
8. Love Actually (For the brief month that Jin the perpetually angry asian and I lived together, I caught him watching my copy of this about eleven times. It melts hearts people.)
7. Never Been Kissed (It's lame, but it still makes me cry. Every freaking time.)
6. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Because we really do)
5. Foxfire
4. The Craft
3. Thelma and Louise
2. Jawbreaker
1. Freeway

9 comments:

Celeste said...

Freeway might be a fantastic movie, but in no way shape or form does it qualify as a 'chick flick'.

"My neck may not function, but I have not lost my smile!"

I think my top 10 would be (in no particular order):
1. Music From Another Room
2. A Room With a View
3. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
4. Thelma and Louise
5. Working Girl
6. Romy & Michele's High School Reunion (I can't believe this didn't make yours!)
7. The Witches of Eastwick
8. French Kiss
9. The Craft
10. She's All That

Orianna said...

OK OK, you are right, omitting Romy and Michele's High School Reunion was a serious oversight. It can hop in and take Foxfire's spot on the list.

Olivia said...

Here's mine :) (in no particular order):
1. Breakfast at Tiffany's
2. French Kiss
3. Clueless (I had a similar situation with this one. We'd come home every day and Clueless would be in the VCR and we'd have no idea who was watching it. It turned out to be Mark! LOL).
4. Girls Just Wanna Have fun
5. Far and Away
6. Pretty in Pink
7. Emma
8. Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. (It was that one, or 10 Things I hate about you, and I like the babysitter movie way better).
9. Pretty Woman
10. Hope Floats/Something to Talk about. (As Nick would say, since Sandra Bullock is in both of them, they are essentially the same movies. He's right too...but that doesn't mean they aren't awesome!).

Autumn said...

I have to say, Orianna, that you have a great list. My most favorite flick on your list is Never Been Kissed. I just watched that 2 days ago {for the umpteenth time} while I was sewing and I just love it! I'm just like you...EVERYTIME I watch this movie I ball like a baby at the ending. It's got to be one of the top 5 best endings EVER- in my book!

Thanks for sharing- and you other gals have awesome lists too. ;)

Hmmmm feel another post idea brewing over on my blog- hehe. I will have to give it a thought- but I will post my Top 10 on my blog.

Orianna said...

Livvy-Something to Talk About stars Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock had nothing to do with that movie. However, it does have a similar plot to Hope Floats, so I will give you that.
Autumn-Thanks! I do really love Never Been Kissed, I probably should have put it higher on the list.

Olivia said...

Sorry...the movies are so similar that I got confused on the leads. It is Julia Roberts in Something to Talk About and Sandra Bullock in Hope Floats.

Olivia said...

Never Been Kissed is good. I have a hard time watching it though because I get sooo embarassed for her. I think I've covered my eyes every time I see the ending, so I'm not sure that I've ever actually seen it :(.

Celeste said...

Yeah... it's one of those painfully uncomfortable comedies, like "Meet The Parents". I do love it, but I don't think it'd end up on my top 10.

jeannie said...

I can't come up with ten movies on the spot...but what about "When Harry Met Sally" or "Sleepless in Seattle"? I swear, whenever I turn on TBS and they happen to be on, I always get stuck watching. And, I'm fully prepared to receive some flack for this one, but "The Sweetest Thing" was like total chick flick! Not in the sappy/love story kinda way, but the single girls kick ass and treat men like they treat women role-reversal kinda way. Did that make sense?