I just finished Blood Bound, the second book in the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, and oh wow was it good! I couldn't put it down. I started it yesterday and finished it yesterday. The overall plot is that Mercy must save EVERYONE from a Sorcerer/Demon/Vampire combination who is causing a ruckus in the TriCities area. That's all I've got without giving too much from the other books away.
Needless to say though, I really like Mercedes' character. She's special and unique, and despite how "weak" she is compared to all the other main characters she still manages to get into the thick of things and help kick butt or even save it. Overall a highly enjoyable book, with only a few minor complaints from me. Like, I felt the killing of the bad guy was somewhat anti-climatic, but she did a decent job with it. Also, the way this book went, Mercedes could easily be turned into one of those slutty heroines that I avoid like the plague, since Briggs has created a love quadrangle between Mercedes, Adam, Samuel, and Stefan (i think that's his name anywho). It seems to me that everyone wants a little bit of Mercedes, and so far she's letting them all get away with it. I hope Briggs ends this ASAP because it's become so predictable in this kind of genre now-a-days, and it would be nice if Mercedes makes up her mind and picks ONE of the many male characters--preferably Adam because I like him the best. I don't mind a little romance in the books that I read, and I would be hard pressed to read one that has none, but I don't like it when it because all the story is about and overshadows everything. That sucks. I am going to have to say, that if Mercy is still confused after the third book, Iron Kissed, which will be released in January of 2008, then I will undoubtedly be dissappointed. However, there are 4 books contracted to be written (2 of which are complete and ready to be read), and 3 more promised verbally, so right now I am still excited about them :). AND, on Patricia Brigg's website, the author does leave the following comment in re to Iron Kissed, which makes me happy and hopeful:
"Like most of my books, this one held a lot of surprizes for me. I had intended for Mercy to choose her man in this book, but I didn't expect it to happen the way it did."
(http://www.hurog.com/books/ironKissed.shtml is the url if you'd like to link to it directly.)
Anywho, if you haven't read Moon Called you definitely should! I would also follow it up with Blood Bound since this is turning into a very promising series.
Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
If you liked Brigg's Mercy books, you should try some of her earlier fantasy novels as well. Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood were particularly good, and I really liked Raven's Strike and Raven's shadow as well. They're sitting on my bookshelf in the living room, or on the filing cabinet in the office in back if you'd like to borrow them.
hmmm....maybe i will when i go to visit the cats tonight! I'll return Belladona too, since I'm done with it.
Post a Comment