For my morning coffee the past few days, I read Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks. It's the first in a (so far) 3 book series. Annoyingly, I really enjoyed the first book in the series, only to find that its sequel - Mortal Danger - is limited in its availability. Amazon was saying 1 to 4 weeks for it to ship, so I had to go through one of their 3rd party sellers to order it. I hate that. Bad enough when the first book in a series is no longer available, but to have the first and third available, but not the second? Crikey.
In any case, Tempting Danger appears to be another in the mixed genre thriller/romance variety. It's set in modern-day San Diego, in a world where people know werewolves and witches exist, and werewolves are legal - if barely. The lead female is a homicide detective in San Diego who can sense magic. She's investigating a murder that appears to have been committed by a werewolf. Her initial werewolf suspect is (of course) the charming, smokin' hot, sexually available, local werewolf prince. And as soon as they meet (of course) they're irresistably drawn to each other, because it turns out they're fated to be mated (hey I rhymed!). As cheesy as the setup sounds, the prose is good, the characters are well drawn, and the plot kept me engaged throughout. I'm keeping an eye on the mail for the sequel.
In other reading news.... my first issue of Buffy: Season 8 will ship in the next week or so, and I have the first four issues of the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. It's kept to the story-line from Guilty Pleasures so far, and the artwork has been really good. I'm interested in seeing how they handle things when they get to the gory parts... and if they continue past Guilty Pleasures, how they handle things when Anita becomes the slut-goddess from hell. Guilty Pleasures practically begged to be put into comic book form, though. There's something about a world peopled by vampires, werewolves, witches and the like that lends itself really well to little graphical boxes with bubble-text.
Oooh, and who else finished Blood Bound yet? I kinda wish Patricia Briggs would write longer books.... I finish them too quick, and I really enjoy reading her stuff.
Friday, February 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I actually haven't read any of the Patricia Briggs books yet. Lately the only time I have to read is when I'm at the gym. Can you believe I got like ten books for Christmas and as of now I've only read three of them? So depressing.
Also yeah I've totally given up on Laurel K. Hamilton, she's gone the Anne Rice route. We don't need to know your perverted sexual fantasies ladies. Keep your desire to be forcibly penetrated from behind by a manimal out of my reading material. Sick.
Blood Bound is out? I need to buy it because I thoroughly enjoy Patricia Briggs (from what I've read anywho).
Yeah, Blood Bound is out, and it was a good read. I liked it.
And I haven't completely given up on LKH yet.... I just won't spend the money on hardcovers, that's for sure. I'll wait til I can pick her stuff up at paperback price. But the comics hearken back to her earlier days, when Anita Blake didn't suck.
Other books coming out real soon now: For A Few Demons More - March 22
Belladonna - March 6
Post a Comment