If ever a movie was produced specifically for me, Fido would be it. It's got the '50s-style kitschy setting, the dark humor and zombies(!), all seemed aimed right at my weird-movie-loving heart.
The opening montage is fabulous. America has fought and won the Zombie Wars, and domesticated the undead, so that now the average citizen lives a lifestyle of relative ease, with tedious manual tasks relegated to rotting corpses with electric collars around their neck that keep their urge for flesh in check. Enter our hero, Timmy, a friendless runt of a kid with a father obsessed with death and terrified of zombies. (Dad is played by Dylan Baker, who I will always, unfortunately, associate with his creepy role as the child-raping dad in Happyness.) Timmy's mother buys the family a zombie, because they are the last family on the block who doesn't own one, and she hates to feel like she doesn't fit in. Lacking actual friends his age, Timmy names their new zombie Fido, and quickly develops a rapport with him.
Of course things can't stay that simple, and a la Dead Alive, Timmy's zombie breaks loose and kills a nasty old neighbor-lady. Rather than see his pet zombie destroyed, Timmy moves into damage-control mode and tries to cover up the crime, which of course results in a neighborhood-wide outbreak of zombies.
If you liked Ed and His Dead Mother, or Dead Alive, or Shaun of the Dead, this is a movie you'll probably enjoy. I loved it. It's been definitively entered into the "To Buy" list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I wouldn't of pegged ya as a Zombie movie kind of gal! haha
It's great to reasd about you. :)
I'm a hpeless romantic, adventure, revenge kind of movie gal.
Haha! I knew this one would be right up your alley. I thought Carrie Anne Moss was fabulous as the mother. I definitely think this is one worth owning.
Oh yes, I just LOVE zombie flicks. Horror, SciFi, Comedy, and Comedy/Horror are the genres the majority of my movies come from. :)
And yes, Carrie Anne Moss was awesome!
Did you catch any of the deleted scenes? Most of them, I agreed were just fine to remove, but one, "After Her!" I wish they'd left in. It was Fido chasing after the mean old neighbor lady when he attacked. It never occurred to me how funny watching a rambling zombie chase after a woman using a walker could be!
No, I missed the deleted scenes. That sounds hilarious though!
Yeah...this one was good! I loved it so much I told Anna she should buy it :)!!
Post a Comment