Saturday, October 06, 2007

You Save NOTHING!

I was shopping on Amazon today, reading customer reviews on various Capresso products, and one of the reviewers said:

"I just checked the Capresso website and they list the 560 at $90, the 565 at $140. Amazon has inflated their MSRP's to the point that I will now research every item I purchase from them."

So I checked it myself.

Amazon says the Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder has a list price of $120.00, and their price is $89.99, so "You Save: $30.01 (25%)".

Capresso says the same grinder costs $89.99.

You save nothing.

Amazon says the Bodum Chambord 8-Cup French Press has a list price of $37.50, and their price is $29.99, so "You Save: $7.51 (20%)".

BodumUSA says the same french press costs $29.95.

You save less than nothing.

To be fair, Amazon actually was discounting Dyson. And Bissell wasn't offering prices on their web-site. But for Vornado, of the 4 items Amazon was selling, one was priced the same, one was priced rather higher, and two of the products were not only marked higher on Amazon's "list price" but one, has a list price of $80 with a savings of 1 cent and is actually $10 cheaper direct from Vornado.

Lesson: for larger items, especially if you don't have an incentive like Amazon Prime to shop Amazon anyway, shop around! And don't be fooled by "You save!" because sometimes, you don't.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

Good for you, noticing this. I became aware of it when shopping on eBay, and transferred the practice of checking manufacturer's prices over to my Amazon shopping as well. To put it briefly, they lie. So let the buyer beware.

Autumn said...

Thanks for your research Detective Celeste. :) It 'pays' to know what deals are out there and what seems like a deal... but not.

I love thrift store shopping! Can't get any better deals then that. Though some things are better if you buy them brand new. You know, warranties and such.

Celeste said...

True on the thrift store shopping, but you need to be in-person for that. With the exception of groceries, 90% of my purchases these days are on the web. Maybe it'd be different in a lower traffic area, but actually driving out to a store that has what you want, hoping it's in stock, then driving home with it takes so much time, I'd rather wait two or three days and have it shippped. I'm an extremely lazy shopper. :)

Autumn said...

I LOVE shopping online too! It amazes me how I can sit in my pj's and shop. :) Gotta love it.

If you didn't know- Safeway.com offers grocery shopping online and they deliver as well. I don't know if Safeway is back East where you live...but I thought I'd mention it.