Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Winning the Layoff Lottery

Well Smithers and Burns got their way, and the bloodbath has started.

These days are always the hardest for me. The constant "are you okay?" pings. The constant emails from folks saying "Well, nice working with you." Showing up for meetings only to find out that the majority of the folks running the show are gone. Chaos! Tension! Tears! Wondering why the hell they're keeping on one jackass that never did much of his own work anyway, but letting go the actual productive members of their team. I'm so glad I work remote, so don't have to be in the office for this round.

In this case though, it's at least partly tears of joy. Russ got the word this morning that he was being let go. With the severance package, it evens out like this: instead of Russ quitting in March, just after we get our bonuses as we'd planned, Russ gets paid pretty much through March, is still eligible for bonus, and gets to take the next four months off while we get house ready for market. Win!

So don't be sad for us. We're not. The only way this could have been better is if Smithers and Burns weren't such cheap pricks, and instead had done what AOL did a few years ago, and based severance partly on years of service. Then we'd be cracking open the champagne. Four months ain't bad though. ;)

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Congrats!

Sometimes things happen in our lives that cause our 'norm' to come to a halt- then we are directed toward another path whether we like it or not.

For me, I think if some of the things didn't just 'happen' to me...I wouldn't have followed the better path. Sure I was kicking and screaming when the blow came...but it was actually for the best. {A blessing is diguise type of thing.} I suppose you and Russ won't know just yet if this is your case...but what an adventure your family has ahead!

Celeste said...

Well it goes something like this. :) We had a grand plan all in the works: I work from home full-time, and have permission to relocate if I want to. Russ pretty much hated his job (not that I blame him) and we planned on letting him quit after we got our bonuses in March, so he could get the house ready to sell, and then we can move to Austin! Virginia is so crazy expensive, we could maintain pretty much the same lifestyle out in Austin on just my salary.

Now this comes along. Russ keeps getting paid for the next four months, he still gets his bonus, but he's home now, instead of not until March, so we can start working on the house a lot earlier. We're pleased as punch about it. We didn't think Russ would actually get laid off, because AOL would be insane to let their top technical people go... turns out AOL was crazier than we gave them credit for. :) I still have my job, Russ doesn't have to work but still gets paid til we planned on leaving anyway, win all around.

Now for me to go nag him to finish up with converting the unused room behind our laundry room into an office/fourth bedroom.

Autumn said...

AWESOME! Have fun together...and good luck with the nagging bit. {I'm good at that one- hehehe}