Friday, October 05, 2007

Book Report: The Book of Joby

Fantastic! That's the first word that springs to mind when I try to describe this debut masterpiece by Mark J. Ferrari. I ordered it at the urging of Patricia Briggs and because the premise sounded promising, and it was one of those books that made me spring out of bed first thing in the morning so I could get my reading time in before the day started.

It's that "same stupid bet" between God and Satan. Let's take some poor human, and Satan can take his best shot at him - ruin his life, his health and his hope, and see if he renounces God. This time, the stakes are higher: should the candidate fail and Satan win, the Creator will destroy all creation and start over, this time heeding Satan's instructions, especially as regards to that pesky "free will." In addition to the higher takes, their candidate is an especially heart-breaking target: a nine year old boy named Joby. Satan has until Joby's thirtieth birthday to do his worst - short of ending his life - to Joby.

Joby at nine years old shines with an inner brilliance that puts anyone he comes into contact with in awe. He's a natural leader, with courage, intelligence, creativity, and an incredible heart. And then the wager begins, and all the minions of hell set about doing everything they can to destroy his spirit, condemning him to a life filled with small tragedies and mediocrity. Everything that gives Joby hope or purpose is snatched from under his nose just when it has a chance to fulfill a dream. Every time he has a chance to do something good, his efforts turn into a disaster. Ferrari gives you just enough time to fall in love with Joby, and then sets the minions of hell to work.

The Book of Joby combines angels, demons, Arthurian myths, fairies, reincarnation and left me wishing desperately that there really is a place called Taubolt. Some folks might be a bit put off by the ending, since it's a touch sneaky, but you are forewarned in the opening chapters to be very careful of your interpretation of God's Word. Ferrari does a wonderful job of keeping the reader hopeful through a story filled with tragedy, and I really enjoyed the dialog between characters and the multiple points of perspective used in telling the tale.

7 comments:

Olivia said...

OMG...That book sounds awesome. I am definitely adding it to my wishlist ;)!

Elaine said...

Love the name. Joby. It took a minute to sink in. I am wondering if I want to read this. It sounds promising.

Autumn said...

Very interesting. I'm extremly picky on books I read- but this one has my interest highly piqued. Thank you for the recommendation.

I happen to be in the midst of writing my first novel. Part of it has to do with relationships pre-mortally and mortally. Jacobi {wow-very close to the name Joby!} Is one of the side characters who made the choice to follow Lucifer in the pre-existence but soon regretted it. The gal he loved and was best friends with {Emily- main character} in the pre-mortal realm, of course chose God, and to go to earth. Jacobi hates himself, hates Emily with a passion and is very jealous that she chose the better path. He tries with all the power he can muster to conquer Emily while she is in the flesh- hoping to cause her to be as miserable as he is. Of course, this is just a side story. Much, much, much more happens in the book then this. When you recapped the story line of "The Book of Joby" it remnded me of one of the story lines I have going on in my novel.

I will pick up this book and have a go at it. It sounds like good stuff. :) Though, I'm in the middle of another book right now- but your book will be next. I will let you know my thoughts in a few weeks.

TTFN

Autumn said...

Oh, if anyone is looking for a good read I have a great recommendation.

One of my best friends, Stephenie Meyer, wrote and will continue with an intriguing series. 'Twilight', 'New Moon' and 'Eclipse' are the first 3 books she has published.

The 4th book 'Breaking Dawn' will be in stores Fall 2008. The final book 'Midnight Sun' {which is a companion story to 'Twilight' is still in the works.

Warning: Don't shy away from these books simply because they have "Vampires" in them. It sounds rather silly- but I PROMISE it's nothing like you are probably thinking. Give them a shot. They are addicting and FANTASTIC!! You can purchase them just about anywhere. The library will have a giant waiting list- so purchase if you're not patient. {like me!} Let me know what you think...

Celeste said...

Ooooh Stephenie Meyer actually sounds right up my alley. My reading tastes lean heavily towards paranormal/fantasy fiction. Just checked on Amazon, and with the hugely positive reviews she has for the series, I'm gonna take a chance and just order the whole series. Thanks for the recommendation, and I'll let you know how I like them!

Autumn said...

Sweet! Just a warning: Tell hubby that you will be checked out for a week while you read these. Seriously...you won't put them down. ;)

I anticipate your personal review.

Autumn said...

One more thing... Just another thing to add to your wish list:

Stephenie Meyer has a book "The Host" being published right now. It will be available in stores on May 1, 2008. You can pre- order your copy online. This book seem very intriguing. Steph likes writing realistic Sci/Fi but will always add a twist of love through her stories as well. A good mix. :) She is a hopeless romantic as I am.