Friday, November 10, 2006

Army Strong


Army has changed their advertising campaign. I don't like it. I remember reading about the proposed change earlier this year. I didn't like it then either. Now that I've seen how they actually plan to convey their new incredibly succint message . . . I like it even less. The ads that are running go something like this;
Learning to stand up for yourself? That's strong. Learning to stand up for your country? That's Army Strong!
I remember the Army jingle from when I was growing up "Be all that you can be . . . in the ARMY!!!" It was cute, it was catchy, it was--if i remember correctly--iconic. Then sometime during my highschool years they changed it to "The Army of One". While I thought the ads were pretty good, I still missed the jingle.

Now, not only is there no jingle, but the slogan is . . . not even a slogan. Army Strong? Who else pictures some neanderthal thumping their chest and declaring, "Army! Strong!"? Now I am reminded of the excellent Buffy episode "Beer Good!", for which the tv spots probably went something like this; "Learning to have a one night stand? That's good! Learning to have a one night stand and not moon over the guy like an idiot and drag down the beginning of the season? That's Beer Good!"

I lost my train of thought.


1 comment:

Celeste said...

I HATED the Army of One slogan. As far as I'm concerned, anything is an improvement over it, but I have to admit the "Army! Strong!" ad campaign leaves me cold. They used 'Be All That You Can Be' for as many years as they did because it was GOOD. They're changing the slogan as often as they are now, because they haven't found anything as good to replace it. A lot of companies are pulling retro ad placements into their current commercials.... the Army should do something like that too.