Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Google Chrome - niftykeen

Of course I couldn't resist checking out google's new beta browser, 'Chrome'. I'm actually writing this post using it right now. Initial impression - this thing is nifty. Sure, there will be some getting used to the feel and I haven't gotten into many of the special features yet, but on Vista it's rendering the pages lightning-fast and has some built-in features that are ideal for QA - like the Inspector:

It shows page load graphs, element sizes, and has a full element inspector that will let you go through the source line by line, show dimensions, css, etc. All things I had to install Firebug to do in FF.

Even better is the Task Manager, which will break down memory, cpu and network usage for each of the apps/processes running within your browser. Now you can easily see if it's really your page or if it's the 20 gossip blogs you have open in the background that are killing your browser.

So far I'm liking it. I dunno if it'll replace my beloved Firefox, or even if I want it to, but right out of the box it includes some pretty nifty features that make it worth playing around with.

No comments: