Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Road Warriors

One of the hardest parts of having the kiddo was that it put an end to our road trips for over a year. But we're back, and we're badder than ever!

I get so excited before we get ready to set out on a long drive. There's something so freeing in hitting the road, with everything you need stuffed in the back of your vehicle, and plenty of time to make it to your destination. A nice long highway at 2am with a good car, good tunes, and good companions makes it my ideal mode of travel. I find the whole experience relaxing, and am of the opinion that half the fun of a trip is in the getting there and back. Why take a plane, when I have to deal with asshole security guards, sick people sharing their germs over stale piped in air, uncomfortable seats, and delays completely beyond my control? Sure, I may get there faster, but when I arrive, I'm almost always sick with something from the plane, in pain, and pissed off at whatever asinine delays I've had to deal with on the flight. And I haven't even ended up on one of the poo-flights or been one of the passengers stuck on the tarmac for over 8 hours or out and out abandonded by the airlines. I read stories like that, and I'm happy to take my chances on the road. At least if the car breaks down, I can get out of the vehicle. Not to mention that everyone hates a crying baby on a plane.

So in less than 3 hours, we'll be hitting the road again, and in my brand new car. We're geared up, I've got enough baby food fixed up to last us for days, and picked up a nifty console warmer/cooler that runs on 12volt power, so I can even heat the kiddo's food without any problems at mealtimes. Even better, it'll be two and a half weeks until I have to go back to work.

And it's over the 4th of July! Independence Day in a state that doesn't believe civilization will end if regular people are allowed to set off anything more impressive than snakes and sparklers. Mortars all the way, baby!

Looking forward to seeing all my family in Oklahoma and Dallas... we'll be there soon!

No comments: